Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Seattle Part 1 of 2

Seattle is a cool town. It's basically Vancouver but smaller and more american. But I mean, the climate and what not. The game plan for the day was to walk to the Seattle Needle, where there are few museums, then head to Union Park, by Union Lake, and return to the hostel down Edwards trail. It almost worked out.

After continental breakfast (sidebar, continental breakfasts at hostels are weak) my first stop was Walgreens to pick up some Batteries and a Cherry coke. That went well, but the problems started there. I went in the front door and exited in the rear, or the opposite, it completely bamboozled my sense of direction. I was no longer able to picture myself on the Google Map that I looked at before starting my day. But I did still know which was way up, and that was helpful, because up was the direction of the Seattle Needle ... a spectacle in it's own worth. I hate tall things. I dislike the CN Tower, the Tour d'eiffel. Sears building was pretty cool actually, but other than that ... so I didn't go up it. But here are a couple of shots I took of it throughout the day.





See how it looks the same from every angle. Fascinating.

Next to that there is the Science Fiction Hall of Fame and a Music Museum. Sticking to my "Not spending money other than way too much on food" budget, I didn't go into either. But check out this freaky building. It's in several shots because my photography skills are lazy and poor.





I then looked at other things that required payed admission before leaving the area and heading for the coastal trail. Trouble started here.
You see, the trail was between the Railroads and the coast. To stop people from getting on the railroad, there was a big fence next to it, making the trail in view but absolutely not accessible. Weak. I was determined to get there, but there was no break in the fence in sight. Well ... whatever, I will head for the lake and double back later... right?
Well, disoriented, I forgot what the name of the street towards the lake was. Might not have been going the right direction to be honest. But I did find what appeared to be a park. Some woods anyway, and it advertised a view point and tennis courts.
I headed up through the woods where I was happy to see that Seattlenites had as little respect for the keep your dog on a leash rule as Frederictonians. It was a small park with a crappy tennis court and a mediocre view, but it was a decent detour.



Wait, no it wasn't it was a terrible detour. It brought me right into the middle of absolute nowhere. In some suburb on top of a mountain. Every road down was a dead end blocked off by roofs. Oh and as some of the pictures so far suggest, it did start raining at this point. I wouldn't say I was lost, I knew where I wanted to be, just no idea how to get there. I walked to six dead ends before finding a road, well off the beaten course, that got me down the hill.
But after that it was a simple walk back tot he trail, the one I wanted to be on an hour ago. Alas, I was there, time to start making my way back to the hostel, or at least back into town. The skyscrapers were pretty far away, I don't remember coming this far.

The walk on the sea line was nice. I like water, and seeing it out into it was pretty good.


I also ran into this elusive bastard.






Part two to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment